Post Number: 10897
|Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 1:43 am: ||
10 METER MOBILE AMATEUR TRANSCIEVER
COPPER PART #P03-01086
Complete Specifications, Modifications,
Non - Technical Review.
Lon ~ Tech808 ~ N9CEF
|Emission Modes|| FM (F3E / AM (A3E) |
|Antenna Impedance||50 ohm unbalanced |
|Frequency Control||Digital Phase-Lock Loop(PLL)Frequency Accuracy Better than +10ppm from 0-40° C after 15 min warm up. |
|Power Requirment||13.9 - 15VDC ~ Negative Ground |
|Current Consumption||7.0 amps maximum |
|Dimensions|| 7 7/8 x 10 5/8 x 2 3/8 inches |
|Weight||4 1/2 lbs.|
|Power Output||FM ~ 1 ~ 18 Watts AM ~ 1 ~ 18 Watts Average / 75+ Watts PEP |
|Tuning Steps||10kHz |
|Final Transistors||Drive Stage & Final Stage: ERF-2030 (x2) |
|Spurious Emissions||More than 50dB below peak output power |
|Carrier Suppression||More than 40dB below peak output power |
|Carrier Suppression||More than 40 dB below peak output power |
|FM Deviation||+/- 2kHz maximum |
|Audio Response||More than 30dB below peak output power |
|Frequency Response||400 to 2800Hz |
|Microphone Impedance||Dynamic Microphone ~ 600 ohm|
|Circuit Type||Dual Conversion Superheterodyne |
|Sensitivity||AM ~ 1.0uV at 10dB S=N/N FM ~ 0.3 uV at 12dB SINAD |
|Selectivity||AM/FM 6.0kHz (-6dB) / 18kHz (-60dB) |
|Adjacent Channel Rejection||Better than 70dB |
|IF Rejection||Better than 80dB for all frequencies |
|Frequency Response||250 to 3000 Hz |
|Audio Output Power||2 watts minimum at 10% THD with an 8 ohm load |
|Audio Output Impedance||8 ohms|
Audio Level / Channel Display Brightness TWEAKS
Microphone Amplifier Circuit ~ Gain Level:
The Magnum S-380's microphone amplifier circuit has been set at the factory for an aftermarket Noise Cancelling microphone.
If the Gain Level requires further adjustment remove the Echo Board mounted to the side chassis of the radio (in front of the torodial DC input choke) and adjust VR-1 located on the Echo Board to the desired setting.
Transmitter Section Audio Level Adjustment:
The Magnum S-380 Audio Level is Adjusted by: VR14.
For Maximum Transmitted Audio Output Adjust: VR14 to the FULL CLOCKWISE setting.
Channel Display Brightness Level Adjustment:
The Magnum S-380 Channel Display can be DIMMED by Adjusting VR12 inside of the radio.
There are no other Modification's that I know of at this time for this radio.
Should other Modification's or Tips become avialiable I will keep you updated.
PIN #1 - SHIELD ~ GROUND
PIN #2 - YELLOW ~ AUDIO
PIN #3 - RED ~ TRANSMIT
PIN #4 - WHITE ~ RECEIVE
PROS & CONS
* Larger Heavy Duty HEAT SINK!
OLD Heat Sink 3.76 ounces
NEW Heat Sink 5.33 ounces
* Larger black plastic screw together in-line (15A) Fuse Holder.
* MAGNUM S-380 Owner's Manual Addendum ~ March 2006.
With VR Adjustment's for:
Microphone Amplifier Circuit-Gain Level.
Transimitter Section Audio Level Adjustment.
Channel Display Brightness Level Adjustment.
Transmiter Specification Updates.
* Screen Printed Front Panel (Face Plate) with MAGNUM S-380 designation.
* BLUE Channel Display and SRF Meter Lights.
* FREE Limited Edition 'Old Glory' Extra Front Panel.
* FREE Schematic and Parts Layout Diagrams Included!
* TOP GUN MODULATOR BOARD with variable Power when Top Gun Board is off.
Turbo Echo (A Magnum Exclusive) w/ Volume & Delay Controls.
* High Quality SO-239 Connector.
* High Quality Molded Rear Panel Power Connector.
(Unlike the Low Cost 2 part connectors on many export radios.)
* Front Panal mounted +10kHz ON/OFF Toggle Switch
* 1-Year Factory Warranty
(And an Optional 2 or 3 Year Extended Warranty!)
* Rear Panal mounted FC-347 / FC-390 Type Frequency Counter Connector.
* I would personally like to see the SWR Antenna Warning Switch on the Rear panel of the radio completely eliminated and have the Antenna Warning Light Feature wired DIRECT and "ON" all of the time.
This is a Major and Very Helpful Feature and one that should be a Standard feature and not an Option that is controlled by a switch on the rear panal which can Accidentally be bumped OFF by Slip Seater OTR driver's or Anyone who removes thier radio daily.
* You will need an External Frequency counter such as the Galaxy FC 347 or similar TR-FC390 type. As this radio can be programed for 6 Bands of your choice from 25.165 thru 30.105.
There is no room on the front panel for a Frequency counter and it would detract from the great layout of the front panel anyway.
Sorry, but I could not find any other Cons to list.
REVIEW and COMMENTS
Yet another Great Product from MAGNUM International.
If you are looking for a Very Good AM/FM Radio with that EXTRA PUNCH to get you through pile up's and you have no need or desire for a radio with LSB or USB then this is the Radio for you.
The MAGNUM S-380 has plenty of Standard Features, (listed above) and Power along with Crystal Clear Audio.